When we are dreaming of a cruise vacation and thinking about how great it will be to relax under sunny skies and have our every whim catered to, we never really think about what could go wrong on our vacation. Practically no one reads the cruise line's restrictions (which are printed on the cruise ship ticket) or the list of rules and requirements that must be followed if the unthinkable happens and they are injured while on the cruise. Because cruise injury laws are different from other types of personal injury law, if you are involved in an accident or sustain an injury, you need to know what a cruise ship injury lawyer can do for you:
- Cruise ship injury lawsuits are required to be filed in Federal Court. Due to the numerous laws which may apply to your claim, cruise ship injury claims can become very complex. If you do not follow the rules and requirements that accompany your ticket, you run the risk of having the court throw out your personal injury claim against the cruise ship company.
- A cruise ship injury attorney will know that most cruise ship tickets contain a one (1) year Statute of Limitations during which a law suit may be filed for an onboard injury. In addition, it probably also requires you to provide the cruise line with notice of your injury, usually within six months of your injury. A cruise ship attorney will work within these parameters to be sure the limitations are met.
- Cruise line contracts often contain clauses written to limit your claim. An experienced cruise ship injury lawyer can challenge these clauses and help you get the benefits you deserve.
- A claim for compensation against a cruise ship company can often involve other companies that either make equipment or provide services to the cruise ship. A cruise ship accident attorney can research, identify, and litigate against other companies that may be involved. An example is in the case of an onshore excursion accident: the company that chartered the cruise ship land excursion may also be liable for your injuries.
- Most cruise ship tickets contain clauses that require you to file in a very specific jurisdiction (usually Seattle, Fort Lauderdale, Miami, or Los Angeles), requiring a cruise ship injury lawyer who is familiar with these juridictions and can effectively represent clients from all over the U.S. and from other countries.
- Contacting an experienced cruise ship accident lawyer quickly enables them to document unsafe conditions on the ship and interview witnesses or crew members while they are in port or when they return to port on subsequent sailings.
- Federal Rules of Civil Procedure do not allow an individual person to represent themselves in Federal Court. As such, if you are going to file a claim for compensation for a cruise ship accident, you should speak to an experienced cruise ship accident attorney soon after your accident occurs. Although an individual can try to settle his/her claim with the cruise ship company prior to filing suit, the individual will most likely be given a low settlement offer just so they have the opportunity to settle quickly. However, to get the full value of your claim, you should speak with an experienced cruise ship accident lawyer.
For more information, contact cruise ship injury lawyer Joseph M. Maus at 1-866-556-5529 or email him today. Mr. Maus provides a free, no obligation consultation to answer your questions and help you determine if you have a claim against your cruise line. He is an experienced Florida cruise ship injury lawyer who has handled thousands of claims ranging from slip and trip and falls, sexual assault, cruise ship viruses and violations of safety and cleanliness standards, injuries during onshore excursions, and many other types of claims which are related to cruise ships. His office handles claims on a contingent basis which means there are no attorney's fees charged unless a recovery is made on your behalf. Mr. Maus is licensed to practice throughout the State of Florida, in the Southern and Middle Districts of the United States District Court, and is licensed to practice before the United States Supreme Court and is an "AV" rated by Martindale Hubbell, the highest legal ability rating awarded, and the highest ethical rating awarded to attorneys.
About the Author:
South Florida Attorney Joseph M. Maus and Associates has been helping victims of injuries and accidents for close to 18 years. The firm prides itself on having the resources and experience of the largest state-wide law firms, yet providing individualized attention to each and every client.